A Back Floor is a special location found on some dungeon floors in Dark Cloud. They contain powerful enemies and valuable loot. Back Floors can only be accessed by using a special item unique to each dungeon.
The dungeons and their corresponding items are as follows:
- Divine Beast Cave - Tram Oil
- Wise Owl Forest - Sun Dew
- Shipwreck - Flapping Fish
- Sun and Moon Temple - Secret Path Key
- Moon Sea - Bravery Launch
- Gallery of Time - Flapping Duster (Japanese version only*)
- The Flapping Duster can be obtained in the US version through a glitch.
- Demon Shaft - Crystal Eye
Monsters are significantly stronger in Back Floor areas, compared to their normal dungeon counterparts. They have a permanent stamina buff that doubles their health and strength. Back Floor Treasure chests often contain rare and valuable items, and are the only dungeon chests that are able to contain Gemstones.
Once the required item has been used to gain access to a Back Floor, the player can re-enter the area indefinitely during that particular dungeon session. Monsters will always respawn after exiting and re-entering a Back Floor area (treasure chests will not, though). This can be used to farm ABS or certain monster drops on both sides of the dungeon.